Tuesday, June 9, 2009

FROM THE SUITCASE--Oliha Yiwama


In a few weeks I'll be off to the real world's Nigeria, a place rich in cultural heritage, artworks, music, architecture--and people. There are now non-stop flights from the U.S. to Lagos and Abuja. I'm preparing and packing items to take for the journey. I think a popsicle mold (and Kool-Aid packets), a good book for the flight, medicine, and tropical clothing will be in order.

I'm also taking some lace fabrics (like some seen in Tamsin's designs at Cinnamon Brigade and Tropicality) so the Nigerian tailors can make me some traditional clothing--caftans and agbadas (big gown over pants and shirt)--in order to increase my wardrobe. After all, I am Sultan of Saminaka, and just as a sultan must have many outfits for upcoming events, a traveler must likewise be prepared! There are also many contemporary fashions to be bought at outdoor markets. The tailors are really fantastic. They can size you, making your outfit while you wait or shop at one of the many outdoor "malls."

I'm excited just thinking about the whole outdoors experience. It reminds me of one of my favorite Nigerian cuisine experiences, suya! Suya is beef grilled after having been rolled in a dry spice mixture--but then, surely you've seen Saminaka's suya stand, with its directions for adapting suya to American ingredients! The Hausa people are known for their expertise in this area. Mmmmmm.

I'm making a list of the different artworks that I plan on bringing back. Nigeria is world-reknowned for its many art traditions. I look forward to sharing them with you when I return.

Last, but not least, the oracle. I will consult with some of the greatest diviners there and share some of their oracular messages with you. In fact, plenty to share with you on SL later this summer. Be prepared for Saminaka's authentic twist on African weddings, naming ceremonies, divination, love potions, ritual objects and much more! ODABO

--Oliha Yiwama

No comments:

Post a Comment