Monday, June 15, 2009

FROM THE SUITCASE--Oliha Yiwama


We are about to land at LOS (Lagos) airport. Nearly all the passengers on this flight are Nigerian. A great cultural preparation--the music, the conversation, and the movies. It is quite exciting. Now I know for sure I'm in Africa. From my window, I can see the palms underneath, and it's early in the morning, with bustle and hustle ahead of me. It's around 87 degrees.

Hmmm, I wonder if Customs will check my suitcase and think I'm importing laces? They have bans on laces--depending on what kind of mood they're in. Mine aren't for sale, they're there to be made up by the tailors, as I mentioned last week. Hmmmm. I sure have plenty of them--I do need my Nigerian caftans! Anyhow, I will be able to get by, with a small tip and a smile. There are a multitude of drivers and baggage boys ready to offer their services.

MMmm, the sweet smells of Lagos. Yes, suya! Can't wait to find my local Hausa suya vendor. Oh, they do know how to barbecue! Here in Lagos, everybody hustles. A little girl just went by carrying four little coffee tables on her head. And the moneychangers--I think the rate is about 140 naira per dollar. Yep, I'm going to do a lot of shopping! Till next time!

Oliha Yiwama left this week for Nigeria and will be sending his column by email, keeping us up to date with real life Nigeria

No comments:

Post a Comment