Monday, July 20, 2009

FROM THE SUITCASE--Oliha Yiwama

Hooray! After a few weeks of cyber woes, Oliha was able to send this missive from Nigeria. I had asked him about how the Michael Jackson news was met--for Michael was a big star there, too, impersonated in stage shows and played on the radio. I also remembered how when, years ago, the U.S. was baffled about Michael's Caucasianization, Nigeria was puzzling instead over his feminization. But, as everywhere, things change when a legend finally departs. Also, Oliha had been the one to inform me of Marlon Jackson's involvement in a proposed resort at Badagry--hotel, golf course, slavery theme park (umm, not a celebration of it), and a sited Jackson Family Museum, active as of this past spring (see concept drawing above). Here's Oliha's report:

Nigeria, the unofficial home of Michael Jackson (at least in the minds of Nigerians!), continues to mourn the loss of its unoffical national hero. Ever since the news of MJ's passing, Nigerians have been glued to their TV sets watching every detail and commenting on the tragedy.

Nigerians watched MJ's wake and commented on each family member by name, as well as the other multitude of stars that attended. I happened to be on the laptop at the time, but was asked to forgo that and to solemnly join the others to watch the funeral proceedings. It was a time of deep thought.

I was so glad that I did. Michael was quite a star, who passed too soon. It was absorbing to roll back the years and think of his impact at home, and to see it here as well. Nigeria follows R&B, blues, soul, hip-hop, and even country music avidly. One of the most popular musical forms is reggae, and Bob Marley is still remembered annually, his face painted on the back of countless trucks.

My curiosity aroused, I decided to inquie who was bigger, Bob Marley or MJ? I got an overwelming responce in the household--MJ! I took my poll to the streets of Benin City, in the cyber cafes, restaurants and to anybody I could ask. The overwelming response remained MJ, in Nigeria and in the world. MJ, I don't know if you are aware, but you continue to live in Nigeria. May you find peace and consolation. --Oliha Yiwama

No comments:

Post a Comment