Monday, August 3, 2009

African Art Thoughts



As some of you know, I teach African art in RL, with the occasional informal talk in SL and two galleries, Seven Cowries on Saminaka and Pangolin Dreams on Robben Island. I'm not the only seller of African art, by any means, but I think I have the best "stock" of pieces, since I gather them not just from the Internet but from the best of rl collections. But my mission is not the lindens my shop makes--good thing, since I don't think I've made even $15 from them in two years! My goal is to winkle out lovers of African art and subversively give them information, or entrance those unfamiliar with these beautiful objects, and inspire a desire to see them in person or find out more. When I run into people who love them, it leads to loads of great conversations (for me, anyway).




This week I lassoed Bitsy Buccaneer, because she is an avid friend of Saminaka and a lover of African art. (She's also a great tp-er of folks with the the right letters for lucky chairs, but that's another story). Bitsy's interest in African art began at college with an African religion course. She identifies herself as "a suburban white girl who paid attention," but it's plain to see she is a professor's dream: a student who allows the material to enrich their life.



Today there was a TV news story about a graduate who hadn't found a job, and planned to sue her university for the return of $70,000 of tuition money. That's my horror, that students see universities as some kind of advanced vocational ed, rather than a transformative experience that makes life more interesting and worthwhile--and might get you a job to boot. Awww, don't blame me--I'm an academic who went straight through school, so my ivory tower is firm and tall!


Anyway, Bitsy wasn't a student yesterday, but the material stuck with her. I asked if she had a favorite piece or a favorite region, and "Songye and Luba art from the Democratic Republic of Congo" came flowing from her typing fingers without a pause. She goes to exhibitions whenever possible, and claims, "Every week I was dragging another person in to visit my friends." The different abstractions of facial features on her different "friends" particularly intrigues her, and fixes them in her mind. She loves the owl-like features of an Ngbaka slit drum, and the quiet power that emanates from the sculpture of a Hemba diviner's wife.



SL is great for sharing your passions--someone shares them, and sometimes a whole lot of someones. I'm glad it enabled me to meet Bitsy and lots of other Africanists, personal and professional.




--Tamsin Barzane

No comments:

Post a Comment