Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Creativity and Intrusion in Second Life--Tamsin Barzane



How can Second Life remain a source of creativity, friendship and development without making you flinch every time the IM bell rings? Because it can do both--otherwise there would be no "no drama zone" signs and some residents wouldn't feel the need to hide by unclicking their radio buttons. But I'm not really talking about the occasional pests who rant or insult--though they warrant an examination! I'm talking about obligations from people you like.

I don't want anyone to wince on my account. I started a writing group, Egbe Akowe, last summer, and we have thirty-plus members, though only ever had a core of five regular attendees for a weekly meeting. We were faithful and regular for a while, but rl would come up (or festival planning), and we've missed a few meetings. I'm not up to date myself! And when I find myself thinking, "Damn! It's Tuesday night and we're supposed to meet!" it's time to regroup!


It's not a matter of interest--I think we've all enjoyed the opportunity to nudge ourselves back into creating, and to share the results (surprisingly good!) with each other. The meetings have been lots of fun as well, building camaraderie, and providing useful suggestions.

The problem has been finding time and not feeling guilty if we haven't written. So I'm going to change the direction of our writing group so it remains fun and productive for all of us. It will now have more of a workshop feel--no prep at all, just drop in! We had a great round robin storytelling session once; we may do that again, but we are going to do timed exercises right then and there that we can share. Short things. I've dusted off my writer's group books and am ready!

So do join us--no guilt, plenty of fun and kickstarts to creativity. We will begin next Tuesday, Oct. 20, 6 pm slt at the library/bookstore, Slate, Stick & Scroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment